Saturday 6 August 2011

The Kelly Kettle

I’m onto my third Kelly Kettle (KK). The first was a present from my mother six years ago. When we discovered how efficient it was we threw out the electric kettle and used the KK whenever we needed a small amount of hot water and it was not available from our Stanley range.

Brand new kettle with all accessories
In the winter the range is going every day and evening, so the KK gets a break. But in Spring or Autumn if the day is sunny we don’t need to light a fire till evening, so the KK provides hot water, for tea and coffee.

In the summer we use it many times everyday, not just for boiling water but for cooking. My porridge gets cooked on it every morning; it’s ideal for cooking a few spuds, or a little pasta or rice for a salad. The frying pan will fry an egg and a few sausages. If we want to cook a full dinner we still have to light the range, but some days we get by with just the KK. As we have no immersion heater we also boil water for washing dishes and bodies.

After five years of very heavy use we finally wore out our first KK last year. We bought a new one and it continues to work as hard as it predecessor. If you are a “normal” user who only uses it for leisure pursuits like fishing, you will get decades of use from a KK.

Ready to start cooking
breakfast
I’m off cycle touring with my daughter next week and for cooking and making tea and coffee I’ve just bought a new KK with all the accessories. Ideal for the job as it weights only 1.5 kg.

When ever we travel a long journey by car the KK provides tea and coffee on the road. We’ve taken it to the bog, the wood and the beach. We’ve brewed up in national parks and in urban car parks. If you use bone dry wood and manage it carefully there is no smoke.  I'm off to London in a few weeks with my son, the KK will also be coming. My cousins have even used it in a boat while fishing, they say you get a lot of looks from other anglers when a plume of smoke suddenly rises from a boat out on the lake.

For fuel we use birch wood but just about anything that will burn will do. On the KK website they talk about dried camel dung being used in the desert. No matter where you go you will find suitable fuel.

Breakfast will soon be ready
In the last six years the KK has saved us a lot of money. I have no idea how much and I don’t really care, I just love its elegant simplicity and the fact that I can cook meals and brew my coffee with a few scraps of timber. I also love the fact that I am supporting a great west of Ireland company who have been making a great product for four generations and who are now with the Internet selling it all over the world.

For more information and to order

For even more information try Youtube and search for “Kelly Kettle”. 


No comments:

Post a Comment