Saturday 5 May 2012

Lighter Bicycle Touring


Last year I bicycle toured with about 17.4 kg (38.36 pounds) of cargo. I’m almost finished assembling kit for the 2012 touring season and this year I will carry a much lighter 13.1 kg (28.88 pounds), including food and water. Every time I climb a hill I will feel the benefits of a lighter load.

Releigh Royal Touring Bicycle
My 3 kg Coleman Cobra 3 tent, which is sold as a three man tent but in reality is really a spacious two man, will be replaced with a 1.5 kg one man tent. I’m looking at four different tents right now that fit the bill. This will cut the load by 1.5 kg.

Last year I had a 1.5 kg Kelly Kettle, this is replaced with a 0.75 kg Trekker, from Kelly Kettle. My tool kit is now based on a 200 gram multi tool rather than the the 1.6 kg toolkit I used last year. A 1.5 kg sleeping bag has been replaced with a 1 kg bag. Metal cutlery has been replaced with a plastic sporke.

I reduced the amount of spare tee shirts, socks and boxers I’m carrying and added a 110 gram collapsible basin which will allow me to wash clothes every day. I’ve also added a 20 liter collapsible water container which weights 200 grams. The Kelly Kettle, collapsible basin and water container provide the means to boil lots of water for washing dishes, clothes and myself.

Trekker Kettle and Cook Set
I’ll carry 0.5 kg of bone dry timber and 0.8 kg (800 ml) of vegetable oil for the Kelly Kettle. While I expect to scavenge most fuel on the road, a reserve of reliable fuel is essential to get the kettle going quickly in all situations.

I’m replacing a 0.2 kg foam mat with a 0.4 kg self inflating mattress.

I loaded the full touring weight of 13.1 kg (28.88 pounds) onto my new Raleigh Royal touring bike, and rode about 20 miles to test its handling. It handles very well even on a twisty 25 mph downhill run. I toured last year with my Raleigh Oakland hybrid carrying 17.4 kg (38.36 pounds), the Royal with only 13.1 kg (28.88 pounds) aboard is a much more nimble and maneuverable touring machine.

A few more items to buy and I am all set for the open road.




Sporke

No comments:

Post a Comment