Thursday 15 November 2012

Dynamo Bike Lights


In a major upgrade to my Raleigh Oakland I’ve just added a Novatec dynamo hub and a Philips SafeRide LED Bikelight Dynamo 60 Lux. I built a new front wheel using the Novatech hub, a Mavic 2013 A119 Road Rim and 36 DT Swiss Competition Stainless DB Spokes.
Novatec Dynamo Hub

I got the hub from Alf in the Bike Inn when I was doing the bike mechanic course, he charged 25 pounds sterling, they are available from Amazon for 30 pounds sterling. The dynamo hub generates a lot more friction than an ordinary hub, when spun hard the wheel will do a few revolutions before coming to a stop, but I barely notice the added resistance when riding the bike.

The rim and spokes came from Chain Reaction Cycles. To build the 700c wheel with the Novatec hub I used 288mm spokes.

The Philips SafeRide LED Bikelight Dynamo 60 Lux light came from Bike24.com in Germany and cost 60 euros. This is a very bright light, much brighter than the Cateye EL-135, battery powered light it replaces. Most of my night cycling is done on dark rural roads and the Cateye EL-135 is not bright enough to see hazards like pot holes on a wet night. The Philips light floods the road ahead in light and will stays on for up to four minutes after you stop, useful for cycling in urban areas.

Philips 60 LUX Dynamo Light
Only time will tell if this investment is worthwhile. Modern battery powered LED bike lights are so efficient and cheap to buy and run that it will take a very long time for this outfit to pay for itself (and I still have to invest in a back light). There are cheaper LED dynamo lights, Raleigh do a 40 LUX dynamo light that sells for about 16 pounds sterling. But however the costs work out in the long run I’m getting a great kick out of lighting up the night with my own power.




No comments:

Post a Comment