Thursday 25 April 2013

The Yuba Mundo Reviewed


After almost two months and 500 miles I still love my Yuba Mundo Cargo bike. I use it for my bike mechanic business, and can carry all my tools and spare parts. When fully loaded the total weight of the mobile bicycle workshop, including the container is about 30 kg. I have ridden up to 40 miles a day with this load, in very hilly country and I can ride up even the steepest hill.

My mobile bicycle repair workshop
The bike weights about 21 kg, so with 30 kg of cargo, this tips the scales at 51 kg. The bike handles very well with this load. It is stable at a speed of 4 mph hour climbing steep hills and equally stable at 34 mph coming down them.

I have a lot of experience with heavily loaded touring bikes, but the Yuba Mundo when loaded is much more stable and handles much better than a heavily loaded touring bike. The Yuba can carry a heavy load on the back without affecting the steering, once most of the weight is stowed forward of the rear axle. On a fully loaded touring bike some of the weight has to be carried on the front forks to balance the bike, this makes the steering and handling heavier. No such problem with the Yuba.

Two bicycles for delivery
Unloaded the Yuba is not fast, the heavy frame, 26 inch wheels and 1.75 tyres make it a poor choice for normal utility cycling, unless you need to carry cargo, a hybrid bike would be a better choice for commuting. But if you need to carry cargo the Yuba is an excellent choice.

I’m very happy with the gear ratios I chose, the biggest back sprocket has 28 teeth and the smallest front chainwheel has 22 teeth. This gives a very low, low gear which I need for hauling big loads up hills. If you live in flat country you will not need such a low gear.

I am delighted with this bike, I bought it instead of a van for my bike repair business. It is more than up to the job and I have no regrets on choosing a cargo bike instead of a van.

Yuba Mundo Cargo Bike Build Part One
Yuba Mundo Cargo Bike Build Part Two

1 comment:

  1. Interesting to read about the build & how the bike has fared. I've picked up a frame to build up for carting my imminent arrival once he's a bit bigger (and hopefully some bike packing too). Glad it gets up hills and feels stable at all speeds. It's pretty hilly where I am, so that was an issue when looking at most cargo bikes- many had limited hub gears or expensive electrical assists. I'll probably be building from donor parts as much as I can, so it was good to read about your build experience. Thanks

    ReplyDelete